Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Wrap-Up

Over the course of this semester, I have learned more about the world then I ever have before. I knew that there were problems that need fixing, people that need homes, and conflicts that need resolution, but I never thought that it would be at such a grand scale. There are millions of refugees around the world, living in a state of poverty, need, and fear that I could never comprehend. I don’t know how it feels to think that my home and my country aren’t safe. I have never not had a place to live and had to know that someone else had either destroyed or stolen my home. Never have there been people who wanted me destroyed just because of where I lived, the color of my skin, or the God that I pray to. These issues feel so foreign to me, since I have never had to deal with any of them. I feel so privileged to have grown up in luxury and stability compared to so many people around the world. As disheartening as the current world situation is, I have never looked at the world with as much hope as I do now though. There is so much potential for positive change all around the world. People are stepping up and making changes, making a difference. We in America have the opportunity to shape our policies and decisions to help in whatever way we can, and also do our best to cause no more harm then we already have. As long as we focus on fixing the problems we have caused, and doing our part to help create a safer world for everyone, hopefully we will see a better future on the horizon.

1 comment:

Frankie said...

I give you major kudos for putting the effort into learning so much more about our world. It is true that we are, often, not as informed about issues as we think we are. This is a feeling that I know well, and I am thankful for the education about the world that I receive, especially in the multiple Women's Studies courses that I have taken.